- This event has passed.
FISD Rising Stars: Have Skills, Will Travel? The Experience of Moving (or Not) for Your Job
March 15 @ 10:00 - 11:30 am US Eastern Time
Members: FREE | Non-Members: $250
“The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible, and achieve it, generation after generation.” – Pearl S. Buck.
FISD defines a Rising Star as anyone striving to achieve greater success and career growth, so all members who share those values are welcome. We are especially eager to include younger and junior employees who would benefit from exposure to all that FISD has to offer.
10:00 - 11:00 AM - Have Skills, Will Travel: The Experience of Moving for Your Job
The ability to work from home has expanded the talent pool available companies willing to be flexible and likewise has created opportunities for employees to take new jobs without moving, or to move somewhere new without changing jobs.
Attend this session to hear firsthand from market data professionals who have gone fully remote and moved to a new place and keeping the same job or started a job at a distant site without moving, and those who have uprooted their lives to change cities (or even countries) as part of assuming a new role. Led by a moderator with experience in hiring strategy, this session will pair personal experiences with insights on how the employment landscape is transforming.
Discussion topics will include:
- How employees make the decision whether to move
- What opportunities workers can gain access to by moving
- What it’s like to move for a new job at a new company vs. what it’s like to move for a new job at the same company
- Smoothing family transitions, especially in international moves
- What it’s like to start at a new company as a fully virtual worker
- Best practices for integrating new members into a team spread across a variety of sites
- Lifestyle changes employees have enjoyed because of their decision to move
- How companies decide whether to allow a position to be fully virtual or not
- Leaving aside any current or future pandemic-related lockdowns, how long are current remote work trends expected to last? Are companies already planning as though some jobs will remain permanently remote?
Douglas B Taylor, Managing Partner, douglasbtaylor International Consulting LLC
Ivette Collazo, Managing Director, State Street
Myrna Ghanem, ESG Client Engagement Specialist, S&P Global
Chris Grant, VP Market Data, OTC Markets Group
Nicole McQueen, Business Development Manager, AWS Data Exchange, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Barry Raskin, FIA, Managing Director, Jordan & Jordan
11:00 - 11:30 AM – Q&A With Audience
Panelists will stick around for an extended Q&A session so you can have all of your questions answered.
This portion may end early.